Doctorate of Philosophy Drew University, In Historical Theology, 1979 Madison, New Jersey
Master of Theology, 1973 Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, New Jersey
Master of Divinity, 1972 Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, Kentucky
Master of Arts, 1971 Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, Oklahoma
Bachelor of Arts, 1969 Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, Oklahoma
Associate of Arts, 1967 Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Doctor of Divinity, 1996 Houghton College, Houghton, New York
Doctor of Sacred Theology, 1996 Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Doctor of Divinity, 2002 Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor, Michigan
1995 – present ~ Senior Pastor Skyline Wesleyan Church, with an average attendance of nearly 3000, located in San Diego, California. Complete a milti-million dollar church relocation project.
1983 – 1995 ~ Founding/Senior Pastor Metroplex Chapel (Nazarene), Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.
1979 – 1983 ~ Associate Pastor First Nazarene Church, Bethany, Oklahoma (Oklahoma City area) – title: Minister of Lay Development
1977 – 1979 ~ Professor Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Taught Evangelism, Discipleship, Old and New Testament, and Church History.
1973 – 1977 ~ Senior Pastor Trenton Wesleyan Church, Trenton, New Jersey.
1971 – 1972 ~ Youth Pastor Rosemont Baptist Church, Lexington, Kentucky.
Summer 1969 ~Youth, Music Minister Baptist Church, Concordia, Kansas.
1968 – 1969 ~ Crusade Founder/Director Founded the Greater North Central Kansas Crusade, an evangelistic crusade held in the Concordia, Kansas Football Stadium.
· Cracking Da Vinci’s Code – co-authored with Peter Jones, Victor Books (2004), 500,000 in print; reached No. 17 on the New York Times Bestseller List (paperback, nonfiction) and No. 96 on USA Today Top 150 Bestsellers (of all books); covered in front page article April 27, 2004 in New York Times, in articles in the London Daily Telegraph, and numerous newspapers, along with references in Christianity Today and People Magazine; did interviews nationally on NBC Today Show, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC, and scores of national and local radio networks and shows. Was part of the nationally televised Da Vinci Code one hour special on the PAX Network, May 11, 2005; has now been released in Indonesian, Turkish, Romanian, Norwegian, Spanish, Portuguese, Croatian.
· Cracking Da Vinci’s Code – audio versions, in cassette, CD and MP3.
· Cracking Da Vinci’s Code – “digest,” “give-away” version (mass market edition)
· Da Vinci Code Breakers: An Easy-to-Use Fact Checker, co-authored with Timothy Paul Jones and April Williams, Bethany House (2006) – a dictionary of over 500 Da Vinci Code related terms
· The 21Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – Tested by Time; Those Who Followed Them…and Those Who Didn’t; Lessons from Constantine to Colin Powell, Thomas Nelson Publishers (2002); released in paperback (2005); also available in Malaysian language.
· A Christian’s Response to Islam, Honor Books, River Oak Publishing (2002); updated (2005), released in French.
· How God Saved Civilization, Regal Books (2000); re-released as God And His People, Cook Communications (2004).
· The Covenant, Beacon Hill Press (1999); released in Indonesian and Portuguese
· Partners In Ministry, Laity And Pastor Working Together; Beacon Hill Press (1981; re-released 1998); 60,000 in print.
· The L.I.T.E. (Lay Institute To Equip) Manual, Beacon Hill Press, 1980. ( a 300 page training manual)
· Outline History of Christianity, a 3″ x 4.5″ spiral outline-overview of 2000 years of church history.
· God Still Heals, co-authored with Carol Jane Garlow, Wesley Press (2005)
CONTRIBUTING TO OTHER PUBLICATIONS
· “Purpose-Driven Lay Training; Equipping Christian Revolutionists,” Building Teams In Ministry (The Beeson Pastoral Series), Dale Galloway, ed., Beacon Hill Press, 2000.
· “Transitioning To A New Location,” Leading In Times Of Change (The Beeson Pastoral Series), Dale Galloway, ed., Beacon Hill Press, 2001.
· “The Layperson As Minister: A Call For A Theology Of The Laity”, The Church, Volume IV, An Inquiry Into Ecclesiology From A Biblical and Theological Perspective, Melvin Dieter and Daniel Berg, Editors, Warner Press, 1984.
· “Developing a Social Consciousness,” The Christian College and Community Standards: Beginning Dialogue in Search of Understanding, edited by Charles E. Massey, self-published with the assistance of Houghton College, Buffalo, NY campus, 1981.
PRESENTATIONS (CD’S, DVD’s, VIDEOS, NOTEBOOKS
“Understanding Church History – One Minute at a Time” – 8 CD’s, with 395 one minute church history vignettes.
CD – “Your Spiritual DNA: Discovering Your Godly Ancestors,” a series of one minute historical vignettes.
CD – “Thinking and Acting Christian: How to be a Citizen of Jerusalem (believer) while Residing in Babylon (pagan culture).
Video / DVD Series – “How God Saved Civilization,” a 12 part Church History series, filmed on European locations…and before a 350 person studio audience, 5 camera shoot.
Interviewed numerous times on the DVD titled Breaking the Da Vinci Code, produced by Grizzly Adams Productions, aired nationally on the PAX Network May 11, 2005 (2005).
Interviewed numerous times on the DVD titled The Da Vinci Code Deception, produced by Grizzly Adams Productions (this is a “Christian version” of the more “secular version” listed above) (2005).
Interviewed numerous times on yet untitled Da Vinci Code related DVD produced by Associated Television International of Los Angeles – produced for national airing and commercial sales (2005).
CD/Notebook Set – The Covenant, a four part series (2002).
CD/Notebook Set – Me, My Bible, And The Nightly News (Understanding Islam), a four part series (2002).
CD/Notebook Set – My Spirit and My Sexuality, a 5 part series (2002).
CD/Notebook Set – Healing, an 8 part series (2002).
Videotape, Audiotape, CD, DVD – “The Church: Alive And Well,” a one hour walk through 2000 years of Church History, given at Jack Hayford’s Pastors’ Conference, Church On The Way, Van Nuys, California in 1993. Became one of the top ten sellers of Fresh Audio/Video Productions in 1994 and following years.
Videotape – “Partners In Ministry”, taped at more than 20 locations… featuring numerous testimonies, dozens of teaching vignettes… interviews with Elton Trueblood, Lloyd Oglvie, and Ralph Osborne (both of Hollywood Presbyterian Church), Ken Van Wyk (of the Crystal Cathedral), Ken Haugk (of the Stephen Series) and many others… featuring six humorous skits… along with energetic music track. Taped in 1982.
Videotape – “All God’s People”, a historical re-creation of a conversation between six key figures from different periods of church history: John Wesley (b. 1703), St. Francis of Assisi (b. 1182), Martin Luther (b. 1483), Alexander Campbell (b. 1788), John R. Mott (b. 1865), and Pope John XXIII (b. 1881). Taped in 1982 before a live audience.
Videotape – “You Can Be A Lay Minister”, which includes three full length messages on one video, given before the laymen at a National Men’s Ministry conference in Cleveland, Tennessee, 1990: 1) “Laity: Called, Gifted, Trained and Sent”; 2) “Implementing Lay Ministry In The Local Church”; 3) “It’s War! The Battle Is On!”
Musical – “We (laity) are ministers”, presented at Robert Schueller’s Crystal Cathedral in January 1983, produced by Beacon Hill in Kansas City. Wrote 12 songs; music arranged by Myra Schubert.
Produced four record albums: 1) “The Sonics,” a College Quartet, Oklahoma Wesleyan University (formerly Miltonvale Wesleyan College), 1968; 2) Solo/Speaking Album, 1970; 3) “The AstroNotes,” Family Singing Group, 1972; 4) “Eternally Young and Free,” Brother’s Trio, 1974.
One minute commentary called “The Garlow Perspective” – aired on 425+ Christian radio outlets daily, Monday through Friday; see www.garlowperspective.com ; thus far, approximately 700 one minutes features have been produced and aired.
One half hour radio special aired nationally on approximately 250 Christian radio outlets once every two months. (Note: dates in parentheses indicate dates that accompanying “short features – 1 minute commentaries – aired):
Vol. 1 – For What Would You Die? (9/9-12/27)
Vol. 2 – Why Should They Live? (Sanctity of Life) (12/30-2/28/03)
Vol. 3 – The Covenant: Jesus Christ the Ultimate Sacrifice (3/3-5/2)
Vol. 4 – John Wesley: The Man of One Book (5/5-7/4
Vol. 5 – When God Comes to Your Town (7/7-9/5)
Vol. 6 – Martin Luther: A Mighty Fortress (9/8-11/7)
Vol. 7 – From the Heart of a Pastor: What Every Church Member Should Know (11/10-1/9/04)
Vol. 8 – The Perfect Valentine (1/12-3/12/04)
Vol. 9 – Ordinary Christians: An Extra-Ordinary Calling! (3/15-5/14/04)
Vol. 10 – Cracking Da Vinci’s Code (Part 1): (5/17-7/16/04)
Vol. 11 – Cracking Da Vinci’s Code (Part 2): There’s More to the Story (7/19-9/17/04)
Vol. 12 – Christians in the Voting Booth (9/20-11/19/04)
Vol. 13 – The Transforming Factor: Connecting with the Culture-Without Compromise (11/22-1/21/05)
Vol. 14 – Why Should They Live? (Sanctity of Life) (1/24-3/25/05)
Vol. 15 – The Covenant: Jesus Christ the Ultimate (3/28-5/27/05)
Vol. 15b – A Godly Woman: Worthy of Honor (Mother’s Day Radio Special) (no short features included for airing)
Vol. 16 – Dads – Leaving a Legacy (Father’s Day Radio Special) (June-July 05)
Vol. 17 – Pounds A-weigh (Lessons Learned from losing 80 pounds) (Aug-Sept 05)
Vol. 18 – Reclaiming Halloween (How to Turn Halloween back into a Type of All “Saints” Day) (Oct-Nov 05)
Vol. 19 – Celebrating Christmas: Putting Jesus Front and Center (Christmas Special) (Dec 05-Jan 06)
Vol. 20 – The True Valentines: Not Red, but Blue – (Feb. 14, 2006)
Vol. 21 – Preparing for “Hurricane Da Vinci Code Movie” (April 2006)
Vol. 22 – God & Money (June 2006)
A three minute commentary which aired, once every ten weeks, on the Moody Broadcasting Network on approximately 330 radio outlets (June 2004-August 2005):
Vol 1-4, The Da Vinci Code
Vol. 5-8, Christianity and Culture
Vol. 9-12, Christianity and Culture
Vol. 13-16, Physical Fitness, Weight and the Christian Life
Vol. 17-20, National Day of Prayer Special
Vol. 21-24, Equipping Laity for Ministry
Numerous radio interviews – on both secular and Christian stations on topics such as Islam, Christianity and politics, leadership, etc.
Beeson Clergy Council of the Beeson Center, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, Kentucky, 1995 – present.
Working with doctoral candidates.
Member of the Alumni Board, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore Kentucky, 1996 – 2001
Member of the Board of Directors, Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, 1996 – present
Alumnus of the Year Award, Oklahoma Wesleyan University Alumni Association, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, 2001
Recipient of the First Annual “Professional Achievement Award” by Oklahoma Wesleyan University Alumni Association Bartlesville, Oklahoma – 1996
Board of Directors, Christ For The Nations Institute, 1994 – 1999.
CFNI is an independent Christian College with 1500 students in Dallas, along with campuses in Hawaii, Canada, Argentina, Germany, Jamaica, Romania, and Belarus [former Soviet Union]; CFNI has built 11,000 church buildings in Third World countries.
General Board of Administration of the Wesleyan denomination, 1997 – present.
District Board of Administration for the Pacific Southwest District (California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Hawaii) of the Wesleyan Church, 1996 – 2003.
Advisory Board, Ministries Today Magazine (a national publication for pastors, part of Strang Communications in Orlando, Florida), 1994 – present.
Member, Metroplex Charismatic Leadership Council, Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, 1987 – 1995.
An ecumenical city-wide pastors’ prayer and fellowship group.
Board of Directors, Friendship Community, Inc., 1993 – 1995.
A Fort Worth Inner City Ministry.
Board of Directors, The Pro-Club, Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, 1990 – 1993.
A pro-life, pro-family political action group.
Advisory Board, Mid-Cities Right-To-Life, Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, 1990 – 1995.
Advisory Board, College Area Pregnancy Services, (pro-life), La Mesa, CA., 1997-present
Advisory Board, El Cajon Pregnancy Center (pro-life), El Cajon, CA, 1997-present
Founder/Director of the San Diego Pastor’s Leadership Council, (pastors of churches with a minimum of 1500 in worship attendance), 2000-present
European Tour Lecturer: 1995 and 2002, Church History Tour of Germany, England, France, Switzerland and the Czech Republic… covering the lives of Martin Luther, John Wesley, John Calvin, John Huss, and Ulrich Zwingli; Took 20 students on a John Wesley Tour of England, 1979.
From 1983-1995; Served as Chaplain to the Republican Party of Tarrant County, Texas (Fort Worth and suburbs); Precinct Chairman, delegate to the Senatorial Conventions numerous times; delegate to the Texas State Convention of Republicans numerous times; attended the National Republican Party Convention in Dallas (1984), New Orleans (1988), San Diego (1996).
Member of the Coalition on National Policy, a Washington ,D.C. based conservative think tank involving many cabinet level policy makers, 2002 – 2003.
Guest speaker / lecturer at many conferences all across the nation.
Skyline Wesleyan Church: 11330 Campo Road, La Mesa, CA. 91941
Executive Assistant: Tracy Burger
Wife – Carol. Have been married 35 years. Carol is a graduate of Westminster Choir College in Princeton, New Jersey. Her ministry gifting is training others in intercession/prayer.
Jim and Carol are the parents of four children: (1) Janie, a graduate of Christian Heritage College (her husband, Jeremy McGarity is the Adult Ministries Pastor at High Desert Church, Victorville, California; they have two children, ages 5 and 2) (2) Josh (his wife: Lacy; they have one 1 year old son and one to be born in June) is head of the Worship & Arts Department at Skyline Church, La Mesa, CA.; released a CD entitled “The Trail;” is a saxophonist, guitarist, plays keyboard, praise leader; a graduate of Indiana Wesleyan University; (3) Jacob, 15; (4) Josie, 14.